Ercall Magna or High Ercall, Shropshire
Ercall Magna or High Ercall, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands near the river Roden and the Shrewsbury Canal, 2 miles WSW of Crudgington station on the G.W.R., and 6 NW of Wellington; is called High Ercall, has a post and money order office of that name under Wellington, Salop; telegraph office, Crudgington railway station. The parish includes also the hamlets of Cold Hatton, Cotwall and Moortown, Crudgington, Ellerdine,Haughton,Isombridge, Osbaston, Poynton, Roden, Rowton, Slafford, Sleap, and Tern and Walton. Acreage, 11,392, including 45 of water; population of civil parish, 1597; of ecclesiastical, 1711. The manor belonged anciently to the Ercalaws, and had an eel-fishery at Domesday. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £206 with residence. Patron, Lord Barnard. The church is Early English, was much injured in the Civil War, and was restored in 1864. Rowton, including the hamlets of Cold Hatton, Ellerdine, and Rowton, is a separate benefice. There is a mission church for Crudgington, Slafford, and Sleap, and an hospital for six old men. Erchfont. See URCHFONT. Erdington (including Gravelly Hill), a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Aston parish, Warwickshire. The hamlet lies adjacent to Staffordshire, near the Fazeley Canal and the river Tame, 4 miles NE by E of Birmingham, of which it is a suburb, and has two stations, one called Gravelly Hill and the other Erdington, on the Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Birmingham. Population, ½269. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to the Fitz Ausculphs, and passed to the Erdiugtons. There are numerous villas, good modern dwellings, and a public hall. The ecclesiastical parish is contenninate with the hamlet, and was constituted in 1858. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. The church is modern, and rich in stained glass windows, and there are chapels for Roman Catholics, Congregationalists, Wesleyans, and Baptists, a Roman Catholic college, a large orphan asylum founded by Sir Josiah Mason, an hospital, and a suite of almshouses, also founded by Sir Josiah Mason.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ercall Magna St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ercall Magna or High Ercall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ercall Magna (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.