Dowles, a parish in Salop, on the river Severn, at the boundary with Worcestershire, 1 mile NNW of Bewdley, and 3½ miles NV of Kidderminster. Post town, Bewdley. Acreage, 711; population of civil parish, 91; of ecclesiastical, 203. There is a brick and tile factory. The Bewdley gasworks are in this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £110. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1867, and again in 1882.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dowles St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Kidderminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dowles from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dowles (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.