Donington, a parish in Salop, contiguous to Boscobel and Royal Oak, 1 mile NW of Albrighton station on the G.W.R., and H miles SE by E of Shiffnall. Post town, Wolver-hampton; money order and telegraph office, Albrighton. Acreage, 2773; population of the civil parish, 379; of the ecclesiastical, 400. Kilsall, Shackerley Hall, and Neach Hill are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £605 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church dates from the 13th century, and was restored in 1879; it has an old oak roof, a fine tower, and some old carved oak seats.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Donington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.