Culmington, a township and a parish in Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 3 miles N of Bromfield station on the L. & N.W. and G.W. Joint railways, and 5 N by W of Ludlow. The parish includes also the townships of Burley, Siefton, and Bache and Norton, and its post town is Bromfield (R.S.O.) Acreage, 3558; population, 522. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £471 with residence. The church is Norman and Early English, and contains a double piscina.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Culmington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Ludlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Culmington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Culmington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Culmington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.