Cressage, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Cound parish, Salop, on the river Severn, 4 miles NW by N of Much-Wenlock, and 8 SE of Shrewsbury. There is a station on the Severn Valley section of the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Shrewsbury. The township includes Belswardyne, which is in Leighton parish for ecclesiastical purposes. Acreage, 2315; population, 281; population of the ecclesiastical parish, 247. The village is said to derive its name (Christ's Oak) from an oak under which missionaries preached to the pagan inhabitants. This oak has long since disappeared, but there still remains a very large oak tree called the Lady Oak. The Severn is crossed here by a timber bridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; value, £205. The church is modern.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Atcham|
|Registration district||Atcham||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cressage from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Cressage are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.