Church Aston, Shropshire
Church-Aston, a village and a township in Salop, half a mile SSW of Newport, which is the post town. The township was formed from the parish of Edgmond, together with the neighbouring township of Chetwynd Aston, into an ecclesiastical parish in 1860. Acreage, 715; population, 807; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1149. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £165 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Edgmond. The church was rebuilt in 1867.
The register dates from the year 1620.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew, rebuilt in 1867, from designs by the late G. E. Street esq. R.A., is a building of red sandstone in the Gothic style, with white stone dressings, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a western turret containing 3 bells: there are sittings for 330 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Aston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aston, Church)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Church Aston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.