Cainham or Caynham, Shropshire
Cainham or Caynham, a parish in Salop, on the river Ledwich, 3½ miles ESE of Ludlow. It includes the township of Bennet's-End, and its post town is Ludlow. Acreage, 2569; population of the civil parish, 1075; of the ecclesiastical, 390. Cainham Court is the seat of the lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £316. The church is Early English, and has been restored; there are remains of an ancient cross in the churchyard. There is an ancient camp in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cainham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ludlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower containing 3 bells: the church was restored in 1885 at a cost of £2,800, defrayed by private donations: in the churchyard stand the base and shaft of an ancient cross.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel here, with 50 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cainham or Caynham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cainham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.