Boningale or Bonninghall, Shropshire
Boningale or Bonninghall, a township and a parish in Salop, on the verge of the county, 1½ mile S by W of Albrighton station on the G.W.R., and 5 SE of Shifnal. Post town, Albrighton, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage of township, 1015; population, 165. Whiston Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; value, £200. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1861.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Shiffnall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1698.
Church of England
St. Chad (parish church)
The church of St. Chad is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle and small western turret with shingled spire, containing 3 bells: the church was restored and the south aisle added in 1861, at a cost of about £1,000: the church plate includes a silver chalice dated 1579.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Boningale or Bonninghall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Boningale, or Boninghall)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.