Bedstone, a parish in Salop, about 1½ mile equidistant from Hopton-Heath and Bucknell stations on the L. & N.W.R., and G miles NE by E of Knighton. Post town, Bucknell (R. S. 0.); money order and telegraph office, Leintwardine, 4 miles S. Acreage, 831; population, 162. Bedstone Court and Bedstone House are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £317 with residence. The church is Norman, and has a piscina and some stained windows; it was restored in 1879. Bedstone Court is the seat of the Ripley family, who are lords of the manor. The parish of Bedstone was part of the inheritance of Isabel de Say, Lady of Clare, which she brought to her husband, William Fitz Allan, in King Stephen's time. The first incumbent was Walter de Bede-stone in 1283.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bedstone St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Knighton|
|Registration district||Knighton||1837 - 1933|
|Registration district||Clun||1933 - 2005|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bedstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bedstone (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Bedstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.