Beckbury, a village and a parish in Salop, on a tributary of the Severn, 4 miles SW of Albrighton station on the G.W.R., and 5 S by E of Shifnal, under which there is a post and money order office; telegraph office, Albrighton. Acreage, 1346; population, 319. Caynton House and Beck-bury Hall are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £281. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1884-87. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Beckbury St. Milburgh|
|Liberty||Borough of Wenlock|
|Poor Law union||Shiffnall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1561.
Church of England
St. Milburga (parish church)
The church of St. Milburga is a building of red sandstone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of six bays, aisles, north porch and a western tower containing a clock and 3 bells: there is a curious monument of the 13th century to the Haughton family: the south aisle was added in 1856 and the north aisle in 1879: the chancel was restored in 1884 at a cost of about £500, when it was raised 4 feet and a new arch and a stone screen erected and new stalls provided, under the direction of Mr. F. H. Fleeming, architect, Wolverhampton: there is a low side window on each side of the chancel and two stained windows: a new east window was erected in 1885 by Gen. the Hon. Arthur Charles Legge R.A. to the memory of his wife: in 1887 the west end was restored, an oak screen and a new arch erected, the lower part of the tower converted into a choir vestry, the nave reseated and a north-west porch added: there is a canopied entrance outside the chancel, supposed to be the entrance to the crypt, which was used as a mortuary: in 1894 a window was filled with fragments of ancient glass discovered some years previous. A new organ was provided in 1896.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1866.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beckbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Beckbury (St. Milburgh))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Beckbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.