Marton in Whitegate, Cheshire
Marton, a scattered village and a township in Whitegate parish, Cheshire, 3 miles SW of Hartford station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 SW by S of Northwich. Acreage of township, 2751; population, 606. Marton Hall, connected with the manor, was a very ancient moated building with a domestic chapel attached to it; it was taken down in 1848, and is still represented by its moat, enclosing about an acre of ground. The site is now occupied by a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marton in Whitegate from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.