UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Wing, Rutland

Historical Description

Wing, a parish, with a pleasant village, in Rutland, three-quarters of a mile SSE of Manton station on the Syston and Peterborough and Nottingham and Kettering branches of the M.R., and 3 miles NE by N of Uppingham. It has a post and money order office under Oakham; telegraph office, Manton (R.S.) Acreage, 1116; population, 353. The manor was anciently called Wenge, was long held by the Montfords, and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. The Grange is a chief residence. A very ancient maze is near the village, and is visited by the inhabitants at feast time. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £280 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church, which dates from 1335, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower. It was restored, partly rebuilt, and enlarged in 1877 and 1884. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyRutlandshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWing St. Peter and St. Paul 
Poor Law unionUppingham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1625.

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Wing:



Church of England

SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)

The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone, originally Norman, but rebuilt in 1335, and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, restored in 1903 and containing 5 bells: there is a memorial window to the Rev. O. R. Wintle, erected by his sister and brothers, and others, placed in 1889 by members of the family of the Rev. C. Boys, rector (1839-98), and the parishioners to commemorate the 50th year of his incumbency: there is also a window to the memory of Mrs. Wintle, erected by G. Worrall eaq. and the members of her family: there is an early octangular font, and in the chancel is a brass to Capt. Charles Worsley Boys R.N. who died at sea and was buried at Nova Scotia in 1809: the chancel was entirely rebuilt and enlarged in 1875, at a cost of £700, when the ancient altar stone was replaced on a substantial wooden frame: in 1885 the church was new-roofed and a south aisle added, portions of the old church being used in the reconstruction, the gallery at the west end removed, and a north porch erected to the memory of Caroline Goodrich Boys, at a cost of about £700: a new organ was provided in 1908, at a cost of £250: there are 150 sittings.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wing from the following:

Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.


Online maps of Wing are available from a number of sites:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.

RegionEast Midlands
Postal districtLE15
Post TownOakham