Marthall, a township in Rostherne parish, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Knutsford parish, Cheshire. The township lies 1 mile WNW of Chelford station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3½ miles SE by E of Knutsford. Post town, Knutsford; money order and telegraph office, Chelford. Acreage, 1799; population, 223. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1840, and includes the township of OUerton. Population, 492. Ollerton Hall, (built in 1728, is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £183 with residence. Patron, Lord Egerton of Tatton. The church is a plain brick building, and was enlarged in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marthall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marthall, with Little Warford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Marthall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.