Tixover, a village and a parish in Rutland, 2 miles S from Ketton station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 7 SW from Stamford. Post town, Stamford; money order and telegraph office, Duddington. Acreage, 843; population of the civil parish, 86; of the ecclesiastical, with Ketton, 1121. Tixover Grange and Tixover Hall are chief residences. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to The O'Brien family. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Ketton; joint net value, £313 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone of the Early Norman period, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tixover St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1754.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Tixover:
Church of England
St. Andrew or St. Mary Magdalen (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew or St. Mary Magdalen, a building of stone, now situated in the fields, at some distance from the village, is a fine specimen of very early Norman, Transitional and Early English work, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing one bell, with an inscription in Latin, St. Faith, pray for us: the tower, Early Norman, is nearly in its original condition: the embattled parapet being a later addition: a remarkable feature of the church is found in the square-headed single-light windows of Early English date: the chancel arch, possibly Decorated, and a part of the stairs to the rood-loft remain on the north side; the font is quite plain, and very ancient, and may be coeval with the tower: at the east end of the south aisle is a piscina and an image bracket: in the church is a marble monument of the early 17th century, with kneeling figures, to Roger Dale and his wife; he was lord of this manor and died in 1623: there are 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tixover from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tixover (St. Mary Magdalene))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Tixover are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.