Tinwell, a village and a parish in Rutland, on the north bank of the river Welland, 1½ mile W by S of Stanford station on the G.N.R., M.R., and L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Stamford. Acreage, 1711; population, 231. The manor with all the land belongs to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £2 60 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, N porch, and a small western Norman tower. It has some good memorial windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tinwell All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1561.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Tinwell:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a small western tower containing 4 bells, one of which is dated 1639, the others 1674 and 1620; the tenor and second bells were recast and the whole rehung in an iron frame, with a set of chimes added, in 1883: in the chancel is a monument to Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Cecil esq. and sister of William, 1st Lord Burleigh, and another to the Rev. Richard Arthur Knowles, a former rector, d. 1796; and there are memorial windows to Mrs. Elizabeth Torkington, d. 1848; Mrs. Sarah Basket, d. 1843; Nelson Henry Arnold, Lieut. Madras Fusiliers, who died at Lucknow in 1857; and John Noble Clough esq d. 1856: a new font was erected in 1894 in memory of Emma, wife of former rector, and a new organ in 1900, at a cost of £75 the church was repaired in 1849, at a cost of nearly £600 and affords 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tinwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tinwell (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Tinwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cIngthorpe
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.