Thistleton, a village and a parish in Rutland, 1½ mile NE of South Witham station on the Saxby and Bourne branch of the M.R. There is a post office under Oakham; money order office, Cottesmore; telegraph office, Market Overton. Acreage, 1379; population, 112. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £152 with residence. The church, a small building of stone in the Gothic style, has a carved stone pulpit and some good stained windows. Many Roman antiquities and some thousands of Roman coins and other articles have been found in this parish, which was at one time the site of a Roman camp.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thistleton St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Oakham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1574.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Thistleton:
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is a small building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with four pinnacles, containing one bell and a clock, erected in 1887, with a dial on the south side of the tower: the circular east window and two small rectangular windows, one on each side, as well as the west window, are stained: the pulpit and font are of carved stone: the church was restored and the chance] rebuilt in 1879-80, at a cost of £2,993, by the Rev. Sir J. Henry Fludyer bart. rector of the parish 1834-70, and Augusta his wife, in memory of their three elder children, who died of scarlet fever at the ages of 4, 6 and 8 years: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thistleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thistleton (St. Nicholas))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Thistleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.