Teigh, a small village and a parish in Rutland, 1¼ mile NNE of Ashwell station on the Syston and Peterborough and Nottingham and Kettering branches of the M.R., and 4½ miles N by E of Oakham. Post town, Oakham; money order office, Wymondham; telegraph office, Ashwell station. Acreage, 1289; population, 123. The manor belongs to the Evans family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £329 with residence. The church, part of a larger building, is an ancient edifice consisting of embattled nave and embattled western tower only.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Teigh Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Oakham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1573.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Teigh:
Church of England
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is a plain but ancient building, now consisting only of an embattled nave and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles containing 3 bells: a part of the east end of the nave is railed off so as to form a quasi-chancel and on the rail there is a curious carved wooden font, supported on a brass bracket: the stone font was carved by a former rector: the pulpit of carved oak is, with its canopy, affixed to the west wall of the tower facing eastwards, the western entrance to the church being underneath it, and on either side, at a lower level, are the reading and clerk's desks: the ceiling is panelled and displays the arms of the Harborough family and other coats: the church was partly rebuilt in 1782 and was restored in 1911 at a cost of about £350: the seats, arranged in tiers, facing inwards on either side of the nave, afford 126 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Teigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Teigh (Holy Trinity))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Teigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.