Stoke Dry, Rutland
Stoke Dry, a parish and a small village in Rutland, 2 miles S by W from Uppingham, and 3 N from Rockingham Castle station on the L. & N.W.R. and G.N.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Uppingham. Acreage, 992; population, 49. The Marquis of Exeter is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The living is a rectory in, the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £500 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church, an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, contains numerous ancient memorials of the Digby family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dry Stoke St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1562.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Stoke Dry:
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone, originally Norman, but altered in the Early English period, and almost entirely rebuilt early in the 14th century; it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, a small chapel on the south side, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower, containing one bell: the north porch has over it a parvise chamber with mullioned window: in the church are numerous monuments, chiefly of the Digby family, including one with recumbent figures to Sir Kenelm Digby kt. M.P. ob. 1590, and Anne (Cope) his wife: there is also a fine incised alabaster slab to Jaqueta (Ellys), wife of Sir Edward Digby kt. M.P. ob. 1496, a monument to Richard and Anne Digby, and a large sculptured monument of freestone, with the recumbent effigy of a knight in armour, the inscription being now entirely obliterated: on the walls of the chantry chapel, south of the chancel, are remains of rude paintings: in 1898 the church was restored, the roofs generally repaired and other works carried out, at a cost of over £720 ; during the restoration some interesting paintings were discovered on the north and south walls of the nave: the church affords 70 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Dry from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stoke, Dry (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Stoke Dry are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.