UK Genealogy Archives logo

South Luffenham, Rutland

Historical Description

Luffenham, South, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands half a mile S by W of Luffenham station on the Midland and London and North-Western Eailway Joint line, and 6¼ miles SW of Stamford, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stamford. The parish comprises 1442 acres; population, 809. The parish council consists of seven members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ancaster. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £294 with residence. Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church is variously Norman, Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular, comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with S porch and W tower, and was repaired in 1861.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyRutlandshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSouth Luffenham St. Mary 
Poor Law unionUppingham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1678.

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for South Luffenham:



Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower with crocketed spire, containing a clock and 4 bells, two of which were recast and the whole rehung with chimes in 1866: the nave and aisles are separated by arcades of three arches, the north arcade being Norman and the south Early English; the lofty chancel arch is also of this period: the Perpendicular east window was filled with stained glass in 1852 by the Very Rev. Robert Scott D.D. a former dean of Rochester and rector here 1850-54: in the south aisle is a memorial window to the Ven. G. H. Hodson M.A. d. 1855, and his son. Major W. S. Hodson, commandant of Hodson's Horse, who was killed at Lucknow in March, 1858; there is another to the Misses Wingfield, and one in the north aisle to the Rev. Alexander Rhind Webster M.A. curate of this parish 1841-3, d. 1889, and to his wife: there is a tablet in memory of Julian David Eaton Richards B.A. who was killed at the battle of Loos in 1915, son of the rector: a new organ was provided in 1903, at a cost of £300, as a memorial to Col. John Collinson, d. 1892: the church was restored in 1861 by the Rev. Constantine Estlin Pritchard M.A. formerly Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford, and affords 250 sittings.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for South Luffenham from the following:

Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.


Online maps of South Luffenham are available from a number of sites:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.

RegionEast Midlands
Postal districtLE15
Post TownOakham