Ryhall, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands on either bank of the river Gwash, half a mile NW of the Stamford and Essendine branch of the G.N.R., and 2½ miles NNE of Stamford. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stanford; money order office, Stamford; telegraph office, Essendine railway station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Belmisthorpe or Belmesthorpe, and comprises 2681 acres; population of civil parish, 618; of ecclesiastical, with Essendine, 795. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged to Harding the Saxon, passed to Earl Siward, the Spencers, the Greys, and others, and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. Ryhall Hall is a chief residence. The old manor hall has been converted into an inn. The living is a vicarage, united with Essendine, in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church is of the time of Henry IV., and is a building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a western tower with broach spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ryehall St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1674.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Ryhall:
Church of England
St. John the Evangelist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Evangelist is a building of stone in the Early English period, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with broach spire, containing a clock and 5 bells: there is a small stained window at the west end, the gift of Mr. John Lowe and another in the south aisle, presented by Miss Gann in 1902, in memory of her parents ; in the chancel is a monument to Thomas Harrison D.D. rector of Casterton Magna and Market Overton, and sometime vicar of this parish, d. August, 1782, and memorials to Michael Pierrepont, Lieut.-Col. commandant of the Rutland Regiment of Militia, d. 24 April, 1834, and to the Rev. Martin Amphlett M.A. 26 years vicar of this parish, dated 1834; and Peggy his relict, d. April, 1834: the church was restored in 1857, and affords 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ryhall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ryehall (St. John the Evangelist))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Ryhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBelmisthorpe
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.