Ridlington, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands 2½ miles NW by N of Uppingham, and 3½ WSW of Manton station on the Nottingham and Kettering and Syston and Peterborough sections of the M.R. It was-known at Domesday as Redlictun, and then had three churches. It has a post office under Uppingham; telegraph. office, Uppingham. The parish comprises 2081 acres; population, 233. The manor belonged to Queen Editha, passed. to the Harringtons, and belongs now to the Earl of Gainsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £253 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church is a very ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, contains monuments of the Harringtons and the Cheseldens, and has an ivy-clad tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ridlington St. Mary and St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the 1901 census return for Ridlington.
The earliest date of the parish register is 1559.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Ridlington:
Church of England
SS. Mary Magdalene and Andrew (parish church)
The church of SS. Mary Magdalene and Andrew is an edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a western tower rebuilt in 1903, containing 4 bells: on the north wall of the chancel is a monument with kneeling figures to James Harington esq. youngest son of Sir James Harington bart. of Exton, and Frances (Sapcote) his wife, who died September, 1599: there are also marble tablets to members of the Cheselden family, and in the south aisle a remarkable Norman tympanum: the church was restored in 1860: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ridlington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ridlington (St. Mary and St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Ridlington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.