Pickworth, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands near the boundary with Lincolnshire, 3¾ miles WNW of Essendine station, 3½ SW from Little Bytham station, both on the G.N.R., and 5½ NNW of Stamford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Stamford. It was once a considerable place. The parish comprises 2486 acres; population of the civil parish, 171; of the ecclesiastical, with Great Casterton, 448. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Exeter, who is chief landowner. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Great Casterton, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Exeter. The church, erected in 1824, consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and a western bell-turret A fine arch of an ancient abbey remains close to the church. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pickworth All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1660.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Pickworth:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The ancient church of All Saints, formerly existing here, has disappeared: both the church and the village, which stood near it, are supposed to have been destroyed by the rebels after the battle of Stamford at Hornfield, in the parish of Exton, in 1470: most of the steeple was taken down in 1728 and 1731, and the materials employed in building bridges at Wakerly and Great or Bridge Casterton: there are, however, remains of a porch belonging to the old church, which stood about 5 yards from the present church, erected in 1821, by the Rev. Richard Lucas M.A. a former rector: it is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell: in the chancel is a tablet to Joseph Armitage esq. of The Lodge, near Wakefield, Yorkshire, d. 1 Dec. 1820, erected by the Rev. R. Lucas, of Casterton Magna: there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pickworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pickworth (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Pickworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.