North Luffenham, Rutland
Luffenham, North, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands near the river Chater, three-quarters of a mile NW of Luffenham station on the Midland and London and North-Western Railway Joint line, and 6½ miles SW of Stamford, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stamford. The parish comprises 2034 acres; population, 412. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Ancaster. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £624 with residence. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is a building of stone in the Gothic style, has a tower and spire, and contains a brass of Archdeacon Johnson, founder of the Oakham and Uppingham grammar schools. Charities, £120, a portion of which is applied to educational purposes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Luffenham St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1565.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for North Luffenham:
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, chiefly in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a western tower with broach spire, containing 6 bells, one of which is of mediaeval date and the others are dated respectively 1630, 1618, 1701, 1742 ane 1619, but this last is cracked: the chancel, of fine proportions, retains Decorated sedilia and a piscina and two low-side windows: the font is plain but good: the pulpit is Jacobean: the east window, the tracery of which has been renewed, was filled with glass by Mr. C. E. Kempe, and one of the windows on the north side of the chancel contains some fine very old glass, circ. 1350: there are monuments to the Digby family, erected in 1582 and 1758, and to the Noel family, 1640: in the chancel at the back of the sedilia is a brass to Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester, founder in 1584 of the Oakham and Uppingham Grammar schools, and formerly rector of this parish: he died in 1625: the church was restored under the direction of J. E. Street esq. R.A. and affords 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Luffenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Luffenham, North (St. John the Baptist))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of North Luffenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.