Normanton, a parish in Rutland, on the river Gwash, 1½ miles WNW of Ketton station on the M.R. and L.& N.W.R., and 5 ESE of Oakham. Post town, Stamford; money order and telegraph office, North Luffenham. Acreage, 720; population, 81. The manor belonged to the Normanvilles, passed to the Basings and the Mackworths, and belongs now, with all the land, to the Earl of Ancaster. Normanton Park is the seat of the Earl of Ancaster, and the mansion is a beautiful edifice of white Ketton stone on an eminence, surrounded by a fine well-wooded deer park of about 400 acres. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £109 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Ancaster. The church stands in the park, is a small, old, rustic building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Normanton St. Matthew|
|Poor Law union||Oakham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1755.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Normanton:
Church of England
St. Matthew (parish church)
The church of St. Matthew, situated in Normanton Park, is a small building of stone, in the Romanesque style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower containing one bell: the entrance is at the west end: there are a few mural monuments to the Heathcote family and one to the Baroness Willoughby de Eresby: the church was restored in 1911, and affords 80 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Normanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Normanton (St. Matthew))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Normanton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.