Market Overton, Rutland
Market Overton, a village and a parish in Rutland, on the borders of Leicestershire, 3 miles NE from Ashwell station on the M.R., and 5¾ NE from Oakham. The Oakham Canal, now disused, formerly passed to the W of the parish. There is a post and telegraph office under Oakham; money order office, Cottesmore. Acreage, 1806; population, 351. Market Overton has a parish council of seven members. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Wingfield family. Many Roman remains have been found here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £400, in the gift of the Wingfields. The church, which standswithin a Roman camp, is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style; consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower; and has a curious ancient font, and a sundial said to have been constructed by Sir Isaac Newton, who spent his early days here with his grandmother Mrs Ayrcough, and often revisited the place in after years.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Market Overton St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Oakham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1573.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Market Overton:
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul, which stands within the boundary of a Roman camp, is a building of stone with, freestone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing a clock, added in 1912, in memory of Mrs. Wing, and 5 bells; the fabric of the tower comprises a circular arch of Saxon or very Early Norman date, and on the exterior is a sun-dial, said to have been given by Sir Isaac Newton, whose grandmother lived some years in the village: the font is ancient and curious: the stained east window is a memorial to the wife of John Muxloe Wingfield esq. a former lord of the manor, and there are others to W. Wing esq. J.P. d. 1887; and to Hugh Cornwall Shaw esq.: the church was restored in 1861, and again in 1889, at a cost of £800, and has 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Market Overton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Overton, Market (St. Peter and St. Paul))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Market Overton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.