Manton, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands on an eminence adjacent to the Syston and Peterborough and Nottingham and Kettering branches of the M.R., on which it has a station, near the river Gwash, 3½ miles SSE of Oakham. It lias a post office under Oakham; money order office, Wing; telegraph office at railway station. Acreage of the civil parish, 1181; population, 821; of the ecclesiastical, with Martinsthorpe, 327. The manor belonged to Clugny Abbey and the Beauchamps, and now belongs to the Bradley family. A tunnel, nearly a mile long, takes the railway through Manton Hill. The living is a vicarage, which was united in 1882 to the sinecure rectory of Martinsthorpe, in the diocese of Peterborough, gross value, £85. The church stands on a height in the centre of the village, is an old building of stone in the Early Norman style, with bell-turret, and was restored in 1887. A chantry was founded in the time of Edward III. by W. Wade, but has disappeared.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Manton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Oakham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates for baptisms from 1573; marriages, 1574, and burials, 1602.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Manton:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, standing on a height in the centre of the village, is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early Norman style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, south porch and a western turret, containing 2 bells: there was anciently a chantry in this church, established for the maintenance of one master and two brethren to sing masses here for ever: and on the north wall of the north transept is a brass inscribed to William Villiers LL.B. master of the chantry, Thomas Villiers, his brother, citizen of London, and Robert. Denton B.C.L. formerly apprentice to the said Thomas, and also master of the chantry, who bestowed large gifts upon it and repaired the fabric: the church was restored in 1887, a new window in the Perpendicular style inserted in the north transept and the church reseated, at a cost of £660, and the chancel was new roofed in 1894, at a cost of about £100: there are now 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Manton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Manton (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Manton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.