Langham, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands 1½ mile E of the boundary with Leicestershire, and 1¾ NW of Oakham station on the M.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Oakham. The parish comprises 2920 acres; population of the civil parish, 619; of the ecclesiastical, with Oakham, Eggleton, and Brooke, 4398. Langham Hall is the chief residence. Banks borough Hill was the seat of a Roman settlement. There is a small brewery. The living is a curacy, annexed together with those of Brooke and Eggleton to the vicarage of Oakham, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church, which dates from about 1230, is a building of stone in the Norman, Early English, and Decorated styles; presents interesting features, and comprises chancel, nave, aisles, and transept, with tower and spire. There are also Baptist and Methodist chapels, an institute with library and reading-room, and some small charities. Simon de Langham, cardinal and archbishop of Canterbury, 1366-68, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langham St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Hundred||Soke of Oakham|
|Poor Law union||Oakham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1559.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Langham:
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul, erected about 1235, is an edifice of stone in the Norman, Early English and Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, aisles, south porch and a western tower with elegant spire, containing a clock and 6 bells: both nave and isles are embattled: the chancel retains a semi-circular headed piscina, and on the north side an aumbry: the oak reredos and organ were presented in 1895 by Lieut.-Col. Sir H. C. Jervoise bart. and the altar table was given in the same year by Mr. and Mrs. Hamlyn, of Clovelly, and the stained east window in 1907 by Mrs. Hamlyn: in the transept is a memorial window to Henry John Rudkin, d. 16 March, 1866, erected by Augusta, his widow: the church was thoroughly restored in 1876 at a cost of £3,198, and reopened 2nd May, 1878, when a new clock was given by the vicar: in 1909 a memorial window was inserted in the south transept to Sir H.C. Jervoise, 4th bart. (d. 1908): the north transept was removed in the last century: there are 480 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Langham (St. Peter and St. Paul))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Langham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.