UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hambledon, Rutland

Historical Description

Hambledon, a village and a parish in Rutland. The village stands on an eminence, near the river Gwash, 3 miles NE by N from Manton station on the M.R., and 3 ESE from Oak-ham; is said to have had three churches at the Conquest; was once a market-town, and has a post and telegraph office under Oakham; money order office, Oakham. The parish comprises 2862 acres; population, 235. The manor belonged to Editha, wife of the Confessor; passed to the Badlesmeres, and belongs now to the Finch family. Hambleton Hall is a fine building of stone in the Gothic style; it was erected in 1881. An old Tudor mansion, formerly called Hambleton Hall, is now used as a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £188 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is chiefly Early English, with Later English clerestory; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a square tower, and is in good condition. The chancel was beautifully restored in 1892 at a cost of, £3000.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyRutlandshire 
Ecclesiastical parishHambleton St. Andrew 
Poor Law unionOakham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558.


Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, with a Perpendicular clerestory, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with low octagonal, spire, relieved by canopied dormers in the cardinal faces, and containing 5 bells, dated respectively 1887, 1610, 1621, 1861, and the fifth, originally the fourth, also 1887: in the church are various monuments of the last century to the Hippisley family : the church was restored in 1892 by W. G. Marshall esq. at a cost of upwards of £5,000, and in 1895 the chapel in the north aisle was refitted and dedicated in memory of the Rev. George Gibb, vicar (1885-93) by his widow.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hambledon from the following:

Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.