Glaston, a village and a parish in Rutland, 2 miles NNW of Seaton and Uppingham station on the L. & N.W.R. and G.N.R. and 2½ ENE of Uppingham, with a post office under Uppingham; money order and telegraph office, Uppingham. Acreage, 1172; population, 208. Glaston House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diooese of Peterborough; net yearly value; oC328 with residence. Patron, St Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is Early and Decorated English; has, between the nave and the chancel, an Early English tower; was extensively restored in 1862, and contains some old monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Glaston St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates for baptisms from 1558.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Glaston:
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew, erected in the 12th century, with alterations in the 13th and 14th centuries, is a building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consisting of chancel, cleirestoried nave, north aisle, south porch and a central tower with spire, containing a dock and 3 bells, dated 1598, 1616, 1622: the clock strikes upon a bell outside the spire, which has been described as a sanctus bell, but belongs to the 18th century: on the north side of the sacrarium is a 13th century coffin slab of Purbeck marble, incised with a floriated cross, above which is the matrix of the head and shoulders of an ecclesiastic, and the slab bears this inscription in Lombardic characters: . . . erd. De. Wileby. gist. ici. Deu. D. Sa Alme. eyt. mercy; another slab has an incised cross, on the base of which is the inscription, much defaced: See. Virginis. M.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Glaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Glaston (St. Andrew))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Glaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.