Essendine, a village and a parish in Rutland, contiguous to Lincoln, and on the G.N.R., 4¼ miles NNE from Stamford, with a station on the railway, and two branch lines strike off hence to respectively Stamford and Bourn. There is a post office under Stamford; money order and telegraph office, Stamford. Acreage, 1477; population, 177. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the bishops of Lincoln, and had a castle. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Ryhall, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net yearly value, £60 with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Exeter. The church is Norman, and has an elaborately sculptured Norman tympanum over south door, representing the Salvator Mundi in glory. One of the titles of the Marquis of Salisbury is Baron Essendine of Rutland, whose ancestors owned the property up to 1812, it having formerly belonged to Queen Elizabeth's great lord treasurer, Burghley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1600.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Essendine:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and a western turret containing 2 bells: the south doorway and chancel arch are presumed to be Saxon work: the church was repaired in 1835, in 1845 and in 1888, and was restored by the Rev. George Steer, a former vicar, at a cost of £236, when the west wall of Norman date was taken down and rebuilt, all the interior fittings renewed and an organ added: a lectern and a marble tablet were added in 1920, in memory of the men connected with this parish, who fell in the Great War, 1914-18 : there are 100 sittings : the churchyard was added in 1835.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Essendine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Essendine)
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Essendine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.