Edith Weston, Rutland
Edith-Weston, or Edweston, a parish in Rutland, on the river Gwash, l½ mile NNW from Luffenham station on the M.R., and 5½ SE by E from Oakham. It has a post office under Stamford; money order and telegraph office, North Luffenham. Acreage, 1852; population, 281. An alien Benedictine priory, a cell to St George's Banquerville, stood here,, was given to the Charterhouse, Coventry, and passed to William Lord Par of Kendal, and then to the Halfords, through whom it has descended to the present owner. Edith-Weston Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £200 with residence. The church has a light Gothic spire, and is ancient, but very good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edith-Weston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Oakham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1585.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Edith Weston:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Transition and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles and spire, containing a clock and 3 bells, the largest of which is dated 1723, the others 1597 and 1621: the bells were rehung, and the belfry floor and clock chamber restored in 1924: there is a monument to members of the Halford family, erected in 1627; a memorial window to the Rev. R. Lucas, d. 1646, and a carved oak reredos, erected in 1896, to the Rev.Charles Lucas, a former rector: the organ was presented by R. Lucas esq. in 1867, and the altar cross by the clergy of the rural deanery, in memory of the Rev. Andrew Trollope B.A. rector 1885-96: the font cover was given by the parishioners in 1897, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria: in the chancel floor are five small brasses, inscribed with initials only: a tablet was erected in 1923, inscribed with the names of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was repaired and reseated in 1848, when a large wall painting of St. Christopher was discovered; and in 1903 was further repaired, when the wall of the transept was underpinned and drains laid on the north and south sides, at a cost of £83: there are 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edith Weston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Edith-Weston (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Rutland is online.
Online maps of Edith Weston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Rutland, 1618-19 and The Visitation of Rutland 1681-2 are available to browse on the Heraldry page.