Lower Whitley, Cheshire
Whitley, Lower, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire, 3 miles NE by N of Acton Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 NW of Northwich. Post town, Northwich; money order office, Preston Brook; telegraph office, Comberbach. Acreage, 1136; population, 205. See WHITLEY, NETHER.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Budworth|
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lower Whitley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whitley, Lower)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lower Whitley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.