Aldbrough (Stanwick St John), North Riding of Yorkshire
Aldbrough, a township and a village in the parish of Stanwick St John, N.R. Yorkshire. The township, on a tributary of the Tees, is 7 miles N by E of Richmond, and 3 from Piercebridge station on the N.E.R.; it has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington. Acreage, 1807; population, 369. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels. A fair is held annually in the second week of August.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Stanwick St John|
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldbrough (Stanwick St John) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aldbrough)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: