Bolton Castle or Castle Bolton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Bolton-Castle or Castle-Bolton, a township and a village in N.R. Yorkshire, now joined with Redmire to form a chapelry called Bolton-cum-Redmire, in the parish of Leyburn, which is the post-town (R.S.O); telegraph office, Aysgarth railway station. Acreage of the township, 4966; population, 149; of the ecclesiastical parish, including Redmire, 392. Bolton Hall is the seat of Lord Bolton, and gives him his peerage title. Bolton Castle is the ruined seat of Richard le Scrope, built by him in the reign of Richard II., at a cost of £12,000; forms a hollow quadrangle, with towers at the corners; was the prison of Mary Queen of Scots for some time before her removal to Tutbury, and sustained a siege by the Parliamentarians toward the end of the Civil War. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £170. Patron, the Rector of Wensley. The church is ancient. There are a lead mine and freestone quarries, and an endowed elementary school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bolton Castle or Castle Bolton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bolton-Castle)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: