Carlton Highdale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Carlton-Highdale, a township in Coverham parish, N.R. Yorkshire, in Highdale, 9 miles SW of Middleham. The nearest station is Leybum on the N.E.R. It includes the village of Horsehouse, and the hamlets of Gammersgill, Brad-ley, Woodale, and Hindlethwaite. Acreage, 10,138; population, 204. There are slate quarries. The surface is the upper part of a mountain vale, traversed by a tributary of the river Ure, and ascends in high bleak tracts, called Carlton Moors, at the boundary with the West Riding.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carlton Highdale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Carlton-Highdale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: