Byland with Wass, North Riding of Yorkshire
Byland-with-Wass (formerly Byland Abbey), a township in Coxwold parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 1½ mile from Coxwold station on the N.E.R., and 8½ milea ESE of Thirsk. Acreage, 2568; population, 162. A Cistercian Abbey was removed hither in 1147 from Old Byland, and given at the dissolution to Sir William Pykering. The west front, one end of the transept, part of the aisles, and a fragment of the central tower still stand, and are in transitional Norman. Edward II. while dining here with a small retinue in 1322 was surprised by a body of Scots, and had a narrow escape.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Helmsley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Byland with Wass from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Byland-Abbey)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: