Burton cum Walden or West Burton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Burton-cum-Walden or West Burton, a township in Aysgarth parish, N.R. Yorkshire, at the junction of Bishopdale and Wensleydale, 1½ mile SW of Aysgarth station. It has a post and money order office, of the name of West Burton, under Aysgarth station, which is the telegraph office; and fairs are held on 10 March and 6 May. Acreage, 7659; population, 425. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels. Lead and stone are found in the immediate neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton cum Walden or West Burton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burton, with Walden)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: