Burneston, North Riding of Yorkshire
Burneston, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Swale, 4 miles SE of Bedale, and 3 W of Sinderby railway station. Acreage, 1228; population of the township, 238; of the ecclesiastical parish, 780. The parish contains the townships of Gatenby, Theakstone, and Carthorpe, and has a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, Londonderry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £356 with residence. The church was restored in 1854, and has a splendid eastern memorial window. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and almshouses for five old people.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burneston St. Lambert|
|Poor Law union||Bedale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Burneston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burneston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burneston (St. Lambert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Burneston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: