Bulmer, North Riding of Yorkshire
Bulmer, a township, a parish, and a wapentake in N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Derwent, 2 miles WNW of Barton Hill railway station, and 6½ SW by W of New Malton. Acreage of township, 1666, population, 214; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Welburn, 694. The parish contains also the township of Welburn, which has a post and money order office under York. The living is a rectory, including a chapel of ease at Welburn, in the diocese of York; net value, £347 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Bulmer, and one also at Welburn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bulmer St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Bulmer:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bulmer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bulmer (St. Martin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bulmer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: