Broughton (Kirby in Cleveland), North Riding of Yorkshire
Broughton, a township in Kirby-in-Cleveland parish, N.R. Yorkshire, which comprises the hamlets of Great and Little Broughton, 3 miles SE of Stokesley station on the N.E.R. It has a post office at Great Broughton, under Northallerton, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Stokesley. Acreage, 3091; population, 504. A cairn, on the summit of a mountain here, is alleged to be monumental of a Danish chief. At Great Broughton, formerly a Roman settlement, the hills contain a good supply of jet. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby in Cleveland|
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broughton (Kirby in Cleveland) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Broughton, Great and Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: