Brotton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Brotton, a township and ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, with a station on the N.E.R., 1½ miles N of Saltburn-by-the-Sea, 6 NE by E of Guisbrough, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office called Brotton (R.S.O.) The parish contains also the townships of Kilton and Skinningrove and the mining hamlet of Carlin How. Acreage of township, 2076 of land and 321 foreshore; population, 3544; of ecclesiastical parish, 5622. Ironstone is extensively worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop. There are three dissenting chapels, a cottage hospital, and a church in the parish. The church is a new one in the Perpendicular style, erected in 1888; the old one is used aa mortuary chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Brotton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brotton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brotton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Brotton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: