Brompton (Northallerton), North Riding of Yorkshire
Brompton, a large village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, adjacent to the N.E.R., 1½ mile N of Northallerton. The village has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northallerton. Acreage of township, 3842; population, 1245. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. Here is Standard Hill, the scene of the victory over the Scots in 1138. The inhabitants are chiefly weavers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £246 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good, and there are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northallerton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Brompton by Northallerton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brompton (Northallerton) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brompton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: