Brompton (Scarborough), North Riding of Yorkshire
Brompton, a township, a village, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Derwent, with a station called Sawdon on a branch of the N.E.R., and 8 miles SW by W of Scarborough, and it has a post, money order, and telegraph office under York. Acreage of the township, 5317; population, 702; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1405. The parish contains also the townships of Snainton, Troutsdale, and Sawdon. The manor is thought to have been a royal domain of the Northumbrian kings, who had a seat on an eminence, now called Castle Hill, and it afterwards passed to the Cliffords and the Cayleys. The living is a vicarage, and includes the parochial chapelry (unendowed) of Snainton, in the diocese of York; net value, £183. The church is spacious and elegant. The poet Wordsworth was married here in 1802. John de Brompton, the Cistercian monk, who wrote a history of England, is supposed to have been born here. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brompton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Brompton by Sawdon:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brompton (Scarborough) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brompton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: