Brandsby or Bransby with Stearsby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Brandsby or Bransby-with-Stearsby, a parish in N.R. Yorkshire, 4¼ miles from Gilling railway station, and 5 ENE of Easingwold. It has a post office, of the name of Brandsby, under Easingwold, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Stillington. Acreage, 3077; population, 296. Brandsby Hall is a seat in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £446 with residence. The church is good; there is also a Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brandsby All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Brandsby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brandsby or Bransby with Stearsby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brandsby (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: