UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bolton upon Swale, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Bolton-upon-Swale, a township and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Swale, 1½ mile from Catterick Bridge railway station, and 5½ miles ESE of Richmond. Post town, Catterick. Area of the township, 854 acres; population, 84; of the ecclesiastical parish, 923. The parish includes the townships of Scorton, Ellerton, Kiplin, Uckerby, and Whitwell. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £124 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is ancient Gothic, and contains a monument of Henry Jenkins, a native of Ellerton in the neighbourhood, who died in 1670 at the age of 169. There is a grammar school at Scorton with an endowment of £250, and other small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishCatterick 
Poor Law unionRichmond 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeGilling-East 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Bolton upon Swale:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1733-19141754-18941733-18761733-1989

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bolton upon Swale from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: