Birkby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Birkby, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the N.E.R., 2 miles SSE of Cowton station, and 7 NNW of Northallerton, which is the post town. Acreage, 1203; population of the civil parish, 68; of the ecclesiastical, 138. The parish includes also the township of Little Smeaton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £187 with residence. The church is small and plain.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Birkby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Northallerton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birkby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Birkby (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Birkby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: