Birdforth, North Riding of Yorkshire
Birdforth, a hamlet, township, and chapelry, in the N.R. Yorkshire. The chapelry is in Husthwaite parish, and lies 3 miles ENE of Sessay railway station, and 5 NNW of Easing-wold, which is the post town. Area of the township, 628 acres; population, 50. The property chiefly belongs to Viscount Downe, who is lord of the manor. The living is annexed to Husthwaite, in the diocese of York; joint net value, £280, in the gift of the Archbishop of York. The church is very ancient.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Thirsk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Birdforth:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birdforth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Birdforth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Birdforth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: