Bilsdale Kirkham, North Riding of Yorkshire
Bilsdale-Kirkham, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 12 miles from Helmsley station on the N.E.R. Post town, Ingleby Greenhow, Middlesborough; money order and telegraph office, Stokesley. The parish includes the hamlets of Chopgate, Crossett, and Urra, and the township of Midcable and the Constablewick of Raisdale. Acreage, 14,290; population, 596. Midcable is a wide tract of sparsely populated moorland, with no church or village, stretching little less than 13 miles between Helmsley and Bilsdale-Kirkham. The latter has a handsome rural church dedicated to St Hilda. The term Midcable is supposed to be derived from a former wayside (non-existent) chapel (media capella), belonging to and served by the monks of Rievaulx, near to Helmsley. The living of Bilsdale is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £181 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Faversham, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Ironstone and jet abound in the hills. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: