Barughs Ambo, North Riding of Yorkshire
Barughs-Ambo, a township and a chapelry in Kirkby-Misperton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles SW of Pickering station on the N.E.R., consisting of the hamlets of Great and Little Barugh. Acreage, 1461; population, 220. Pickering is the post town. There is a church at Great Barugh, served by the clergy of Kirkby-Misperton, and a Wesleyan chapel at Little Barugh. A well-preserved Roman camp is at Great Barugh.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Misperton|
|Poor Law union||Pickering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barughs Ambo from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barugh-Ambo)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: