Barton le Street, North Riding of Yorkshire
Barton-le-Street, a township, a parish, and a village in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the N.E.R., and on the line of a Roman road, under the Cleveland Moors, 5 miles WNW of Malton, and it has a station on the railway and a post office under Malton. Acreage, 1675; population of the township, 177. The parish includes also the townships of Butterwick and Coneysthorpe, each of whicli has its parochial chapel. Population, 421. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £295 with residence. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1870, but a rich variety of Late Norman sculpture was introduced into the new work.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barton-Le-Street St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Barton le Street:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barton le Street from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barton-Le-Street (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: